Saturday 9 April 2016

Cambrai

This morning I went one way, to see the church etc, and Ian went the other, to a hardware store. 
The Church of Saint Gery is very impressive.
Why are all the best views into the sun!

The entrance

Wonderful

Rubens - The Entombment
The nave

Transcept (I think)

Magnificent carvings all the way around the choir 
I spent quite some time in there, mostly with Rubens, then I wandered along to the big square opposite the City Hall 

where I expected to find the market, but it wasn’t there.  There was a political demonstration going on, however, with lots of loudspeakers, loud music, and strident voices.
I passed this memorial stone on the way
Memorial to the Canadians who liberated the city in 1918
and the Salle de Fenelon

Next on my list was the Belfry.  

It was originally part of a church built in the 15th Century and the steeple was turned into the belfry in 1550.  During the Revolution the church was destroyed but the steeple was saved because it housed the belfry.
Then I went to the cathedral 

and, close by, found one of the gates through the old city walls.  

Most of the walls have been destroyed but two of the gates still stand.
On my way back I stopped to take a photo of this old house, now housing the Tourism Office, and who should walk into the frame but Ian!

As we crossed the bridge across the canal there was a barge about to leave the lock


This afternoon we went with John to a huge store called ElektroDepot.  The name speaks for itself.  There we bought 2 smartphones, a 4G for Ian (€60) and 3G for me (€40), both unblocked, dual Sim, all the bells and whistles!   Ian wished we had more time to look around, I think it’s a good thing we didn’t.  We spent the rest of the afternoon finding out how to use the new phones. Complicated little beasts (for anyone past their teenage years)!  
We have now been under way for 10 days, and here is a map to prove it

235 km and 15 locks

No comments:

Post a Comment