Saturday 23 April 2016

Corbie

This is a rather nice town. It was behind the lines in WW1 so did not suffer as much damage as many of the other towns in the Somme valley.   There are still a lot of really old buildings, and the old town is interesting.
Early this morning I found my way to a supermarket right in the middle of town, no more than a 10 minute walk from the boat.   I stocked up with meat, because they had some specials on offer, and spent ages ogling the cheese, pate and cold meat sections – which are all vast compared to the supermarkets we are used to in Portugal.  I bought some rather interesting (and tasty, as it turned out) pate and a fabulous blue cheese.  And a baguette – lunch!
Some photos of the town
The portal to the Abbey

The cathedral

The old town

Another image of the old town

The Hotel de Ville (Town Hall)
After lunch Ian and I went in search of the final landing/crash site of the Red Baron, which is supposedly not much more than 1km from the outskirts of the town.  Ian turned back before we even reached the outskirts, but I kept going – on and on and on…… An hour later I thought I must be way past the 1 km mark.  I was way out in the countryside and it really was worth the walk 
A wonderful vista over the lakes, ponds and river.

It was over these fields that the WW1 dogfights were acted out, and proved to be the final resting place of the Red Baron.
even though I never found the plaque marking the place where von Richtiofen died.
But then I had to walk all the way back – by the time I got home my feet were really in need of a rest.
Ian had discovered that we could get a much better wi-fi signal at the pontoon next to the camp site so we moved, checked in at  the camp site office, got the log-in details, and hey-presto, we are back in the land of the technically connected!  

No comments:

Post a Comment