Tuesday 5 April 2016

A day in La Bassée

A cleaning and maintenance day.   Ian did an engine check and cleaned out the strainers of the new exhaust cooling system – quite a lot of foreign matter had got caught, including some surprisingly big twigs.  And he did some epoxying of I know not what; I wasn’t here at the time.  I went searching for a bakery in the morning and found one quite close by.   Then I went off to the supermarket and spent a happy half hour (umm, probably more!) finding out what French people buy.  I bought some local paté for lunch.  Ian came looking for me and seeing he was there we bought some heavier articles: a 5 litre box of rosé wine for just over €10 (I’ll try it tonight and find if it was money well spent, or money wasted!), a second bottle of Caribbean rum, one litre for €10 – we bought one yesterday….took us back to our days in Martinique, no other flavour like it.  And a few other boring articles like butter and milk.   Then we went in search of a techy shop to buy a new smart phone. The one we have is ancient – only 2G, very possibly one of the reasons we have slow internet.  Didn’t find one but we did find the laundry so that’s where I spent a couple of hours this afternoon, then cleaned the fridge and the Barbie.  Oh, and we also cleaned ourselves!
Only one photo today, of the Town Hall.
 

This is not the most beautiful town, but it is a very handy stopping place on the Liaison Dunkerque-Escaut.  And the huge supermarket is a treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment