Sunday 21 April 2019

La Ferté-sous-Jouarre


Easter Sunday.  I expected the town to be very quiet and set out with my camera before it got too warm.  I was surprised to see the Carrefour supermarket at the corner was open as usual on a Sunday morning, so was the boulangerie with a long queue out the door, and there were lots of people heading towards the town square.  I was also going in that direction to take pics of the church, and anything else of interest.
Well, I found there was a farmer’s market in full swing so hurried back to the boat for a shopping back.
Farmer’s markets are trouble – I always end up spending far too much money and buying more stuff than I can fit in the fridge!  And they are not cheap, but then why should they be, they cannot compete with the big chain supermarkets.  I bought some cheese (Brie de Meaux and Bleu d’Auvergne), a piece of Lyonnaise paté which we have never have before, tomatoes, lettuce and green beans. 
Then I joined the queue outside the bakery and bought 2 pastries – it is Easter after all.
On the way back to the boat I was accosted by 2 geese.  They obviously don't like paparazi and gave me a peck on the leg.  I daresay I was encroaching on their territory and there may have been a nesting femail close by.  It hurt a bit, and left a bruise!
Back at the dock another cruising boat was just mooring up.  They had only come 10kms today having stopped above the last lock last night, which is where we are heading tomorrow.
Then I cleaned the windows (outside) with fresh water seeing there is a tap here, and the fenders and hull with river water.  I noticed a few new scratches on the hull from the day we tried to rescue the big barge and pushed into the trees hanging over the canal.
There was a service just beginning in the church and the bells were ringing.

The town hall

The market in the town square

A flower shop on the town square

Another view of the market




The offended geese



No comments:

Post a Comment