Friday 24 April 2015

Yesterday in Schoten

The sun is back again.  I took the opportunity to do a load of laundry.  We will be in a marina tomorrow, where we can top up our water tanks so used over 15 litres to wash by hand.  I bet modern washing machines are more economical with water - and do a better job!
I went to the supermarket by bike again.  The problem is the panniers are rather small so I have to do lots of trips to the supermarket.  This time I got a bottle of rum, a bottle of vodka, 2 litres of milk, a jar of gherkins, 1 kg of chicken sausage - no, never tried it before - and a packet of paprika flavoured chips.  I also need to get rice, orange juice and butter, but couldn't fit them in.
I took a walk today, too.  These electric bikes are wonderful for getting you from A to B but they do nothing for your fitness. 
While I was away, the a River Policeman came to the boat.  He informed Ian that the free spot was for 24 hours only and we had already out-stayed our welcome.  Quite aggressive.  Ian apologised and explained that we had not intended to stop there, we wanted to go the marina but it was closed for dredging and would be leaving tomorrow.   Then the guy simmered down and got quite friendly, gave Ian the telephone number of the next lock keeper who will see us through the next lift bridge and the final 2 locks.
I walked down to the Yacht Club, took photos of the dredger at work

then went to take a look at the club house.  It's really nice.  I spoke to someone who looked as if he was in charge and explained that we had intended to come to the club but had to stop along the path because of the dredging.  I asked if we could use the showers and he said yes.  So why didn't I think of that 3 days ago!  We have been showering on Elle, but they have to run the engine to heat up the water, and they must also be running low on water by now.
Later, all four of us went back (by bike this time), showered and had a drink at the bar.


We barbecued the kipwursten (chicken sausage), plus 2 pork chops just in case the kipwursten didn't live up to expectations, but they were really nice, pretty close to English porkies.  With it we had a lovely salad with the most delicious yellow cherry tomatoes, and potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment