Monday 27 April 2015

Still in Antwerp

Sunny today, but not really warm; there is a cold breeze from the north.
We went for a bike ride this morning to the Central Station


and, yes, it was impressive, even more so inside than outside.




This afternoon I had earmarked for going to the museum right here on the dock, the Museum aan de Stroom, which is all about Antwerp.  And this is what I found:


Drat!  We have been here since Friday, and I pick the one and only day in the week that it is closed.  We are leaving here early tomorrow so I've missed my chance.
The next dock along, on the other side of the museum, is called Napoleon Dock and is designated to have various historic craft in it.  There are already a couple of barges which you can go and look around (but not on Monday) and this Light Ship.

I couldn't resist taking a pic of this shop sign on my perambulations:



This building is directly opposite the marina, I walk through here every day to the supermarket, and every day I love it even more.




On tone side is a very up-market expensive restaurant.  No, we didn't go there -  probably would have blown a whole month's budget!
After I got back I spent half an hour or so polishing the stainless steel guard rails, which have been sadly neglected for many years.   They are basically in good condition but had been spattered with paint, which Ian has painstakingly removed, and today I did the final buff up.

Then we went to Lynn and Shaun for dinner - Nasi Goreng with a a fried egg on top.  One of my favourites!

2 comments:

  1. What a great city & interestingly beautiful area! I know what you mean about the museum being closed---took me 6 trips to NYC to finally see the Metropolitan Art Museum as every other trip the only day I had free was, yes, Monday--closed..... Oh well, get to investigate other areas,. Cruise on...
    pmjudy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comments, Judy - we love hearing from you. Antwerp is definitely city we will return to one day, and I'll make sure it is not on a Monday!

      Delete