Sunday 12 April 2015

Last day in Maastricht

I am not sure what has happened but this post seems to have disappeared from the blog.  I guess I did something wrong, I have no idea what.  I really am a blog ignoramus!  Anyway here it is again, a few days out of sync, written on 9th April.

What a beautiful day - summer has arrived!  It was about 20 degrees, brilliant sunshine, not a cloud in the sky and not a breath of wind.
Ian has got through a lot of chores in the past few days.  Yesterday he installed two solar panels on Shaun's boat.  It took the whole day.  Today he installed a gauge in our water tank so we can know how much water we are consuming.  That was quite a mission.  He had all the floor boards up so I spent the morning out on deck cleaning old paint off the windows with a blade.  There are also some old "vignette" stickers (waterways permits) which have been on for 7 or 8 years and have almost become welded to the glass.  I got one off this morning and started another, which Ian finished off.  Just one more to go.
This afternoon we took the boat to a fuel bunker to fill up with diesel and water, and then came back to the same spot on the wall. 
This evening we all went to a beer bar.  Now I am not a beer drinker and when I asked the owner if he had cider or wine he was insulted, and asked me what it was that I didn't like about beer.  Well, I had no idea how to answer that apart from "the taste"!  Anyhow he worked from what I do like to drink and presented me with a beer that was OK.  I can't say I am going to rush out and buy it but I did manage to drink the whole glass.
Then he asked Ian what he wanted, there are so many to choose from, hundreds I believe, we had another in depth inquiry: does he like bitter/sweet/fruity/another 3 or 4 I can't remember?  Bitter.  OK, do you like to feel the bitter on your tongue, or in your throat?  Then we had a biology lesson on how the tongue senses different tastes.  I had no idea that drinking beer could be so complicated!  Fortunately Lynn and Shaun had been there before and know what they wanted.




On the way back to the boat we passed a church with this instruction: No bicycles here


We will be leaving here tomorrow, heading into Belgium.  We are not sure how far we will get.  There seem to be quite a few places we can stop so we will just go till we find one that looks nice. The weather is supposed to be much the same as today - t-shirt and sandals!

We are having a barbie tonight, pork shops and sausage, that tastes very similar to boerewors, plus potatoes and salad.  And a glass to two of wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment