Friday 4 September 2015

Jabbeke to Scheepsdalebrug

Just a short trip


Slow, slow start today, I only got up a little before 9.00 - goodness gracious me, what is happening to me!  I took a walk in the morning looking for a shop to buy bread, but didn't find one.  I did find this rather charming row of cottages.

At 11.30 we set off for Bruges, or the outskirts of Bruges I should say.  Tomorrow we want to moor in Flandria Yacht Club where we spent some time in the spring.  Lovely place, free wi-fi, and we want to watch the F1 Monza Grand Prix, qualifying tomorrow afternoon and the race on Sunday.  Of course we will have to pay to stay there overnight (€15), so we elected to stay at another free spot tonight.
On the way we passed my three favourite bridges.  Yes, I must admit I am a bit anorak-ish about bridges and locks - must have been an engineer in a previous life - or maybe it's just my father's genes coming through - he was an engineer.
So here are pics of my three favourite bridges.
Lift bridge at Stalhille (not much sun this morning!)

Swing bridge at Nieuwege

Cantilever bridge at Scheepsdale
Bridge closed

Bridge open ( the sun did come out from time to time!)

And here we are , moored in the shadow of that amazing bridge.

We discovered that that there is a large shopping complex about 500m from this mooring with an Aldi, Lidl, Colruyt, Kruitvard, Hema, a DIT store and various discount clothing and shoe shops and a lot else beside.
We made one trip to Aldi, the first shop we discovered, but the wine we particularly like is at Lidl so I went on a second shopping spree while Ian did some work in the boat (i.e. sorting out his electronics cupboard), which is when I discovered the big shopping centre.  Good thing there was only one pair of arms/legs to carry or else we would have spent a whole lot more money!  But we might just go back tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment