Wednesday 13 May 2015

Bruges

Oliver and Penny left this morning.  It was so sad to see them go, but they have promised to come back again next year, wherever we are.
We quickly reached the decision that we should stay put for the day, clean the boat, do the laundry (there is a washing machine and a dryer here at Flandria), catch up with Lynn and Shaun who arrived in Bruges today but are staying in a different marina, and catch our breath.  It was lovely to have guests but we had a couple of long days on the canals so we felt like a rest.
Not long after I put the sheets into the machine the power was cut off for maintenance of some kind in the club.  It was not reconnected until after lunch so it was mid afternoon before my laundry was washed and dried.  Meanwhile I did 2 bucket loads by hand and hung them on the rails to dry.
After that I went for a walk, with camera this time, and no rain this time either.  I took dozens of photos but I won't bore you with all of them -  here are a few of my favourites:
Leda and the Swan



Two of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse












I walked for over 2 hours and met up with Ian at Elle then we all went out for a drink on a terrace overlooking one of the old canals.  And when it got a bit cooler we found another bar where we sat inside.  I had left my map on Elle but didn't feel like walking back there seeing I was already nearly half way home.  So Ian, Lynn and Shaun set off in one direction and I set off in the other.  I had no idea where I was but just followed the streets South and West till I found one I recognised, and I didn't get lost once.  I was rather proud of myself!

1 comment:

  1. Excellent time! Noticed the chocolate shop---did you stop??
    pmjudy

    ReplyDelete