Wednesday 25 March 2015

Last chores

25/3
I spoke too soon!  Remember, yesterday I said the weather had been quite nice?  Well, today it was quite awful.  Not as cold as it has been in the early mornings but that is because it was heavily overcast and raining.  Didn't let up all day and the max outdoor temp was 7C.  Funny that I found it essential to do 2 loads of laundry which meant spending a couple of hours in the warm "wasserette"!  I got an email from Chrissie reminding me that this time last year they were in Amsterdam and it was 20C!

But, before I forget, here are the pics from last night's sing-along.

The bar at Watersportvereniging Ijsselmonde

The choir

In full voice - giving it stick!

One of the soloists

The star of the show.  85 years old and full of life!

Percussion clogs

So what else did we do today?  First of all we had to get rid of the 2 huge (50kg each) batteries that we have replaced.  We drove to a Kwik Fit place we saw yesterday and asked them if they would like to take them off our hands.  Fortunately they said yes, so that was one item ticked off the list.
Next was to exchange our empty gas cylinder for a new one (I have been lighting the burners on the stove when I get up in the morning to heat the cabin and use up the last dregs in the gas bottle before getting a new one - and it ran out this morning.  How's that for meticulous planning!).  However, we ran into more road works, and decided to take a detour to another shop we knew on the way, just to confuse Mrs. GPS.  You know, I am amazed at how patient she is.  She never gets frustrated  or shouts "You, stupid b******, I told you to turn right!" 
Then back to the boat with the gas, a quick cup of coffee, and it was time to return the rental car.
This afternoon, while I was doing the laundry ;o), Ian cleaned the deck in the freezing breeze and pouring rain.  And he doesn't even have sailing boots - we haven't been able to find any for his size 49 (UK 14) feet.  My hero, that was supposed to be my job today.
I took my laptop to the laundry to while away the time  and discovered two important things.  Firstly, that my nephew Steven and his wife Lynn became first time parents this morning to a daughter called Ava.  Wonderful.
Secondly, that tomorrow the weather is going to be even colder, rainier and windier than it was today.  And there we were, all ready to break our ties with Rotterdam and start the cruising life!  So Ian and I had some serious discussions and have decided to postpone our departure till Friday, when it will be cold and windy but not raining.

I wonder what we'll do tomorrow.  I'm sure there is already a long list being written in Ian's brain!


1 comment:

  1. Nice pics - looks like it was a lot of fun. Hope the weather clears quickly.

    ReplyDelete