Sunday 29 March 2015

Comedy Half Hour in the Lock

Yesterday we took on our first lock.  Well, anyone would think I had never been on a boat before.  It seems I have forgotten everything I ever learnt in 20 years of sailing during the 20 years we have lived in the Azores!  For a start, our little Njord is too short for the spacing of the bollards in the lock.  Do you think I could throw the darn rope around the bollard?  Not a chance!  So Ian and I swapped places, he having already got his rope around the bollard near the stern.  But I then had to manoeuvre the boat to get the bow as close to the next bollard as possible and in the process let go of the tail of the rope around the stern bollard and it drifted over the side!  Ian got the forward rope on, and I had to pull the whole stern rope back aboard and start all over again with the stern bollard.  Finally got that sorted.  As the lock filled and the water rose we had to move the ropes to higher bollards, which again was a nightmare for me at only 1.5m tall.  By the time the rope slipped off the lower bollard I still could not reach the higher bollard!  But we got there in the end. 
We have a fancy piece of equipment on board for putting ropes around bollards but could not find it in the cavernous locker where we had stowed it!  We found it once we safely tied up at the mooring, all the way at the bottom of the locker!  It is obviously going to be an essential item for me and from now on it will be ready on deck. 
I am just pleased we were the only the boat in the lock so I didn't have an audience to my incompetence - but Ian assured me the lock operators were watching on cctv and having a good laugh!
Today is a rest day, closed in between two movable bridges only 1.00m high which are not operating today.  However, we needed a rest day and it is raining even harder today than it did yesterday.  It is a lot warmer though.

Chicken stew for dinner last night, and the leftovers became soup for lunch today.  More chicken for dinner (bought a big economy pack yesterday) but in the form of Thai green curry.

No comments:

Post a Comment