Tuesday 28 March 2017

Oudenburg

We spent the day at the pontoon in Oudenberg so Ian could do some work.  He is making new storage boxes for the aft deck and needed to do a lot of drilling, etc, so this is the ideal spot with its free electricity.

There is an old man who visits all the boats offering to sell potatoes, eggs and anything else growing in his garden.  
The veggie vendor
Today he also had leeks. I bought 5 kg of potatoes (should keep us going for a while and saves me lugging them from the supermarket!) and half a dozen eggs free range laid today, which were not cheap but he gave me a discount because most of them were rather small.  I know I could have got cheaper in a supermarket but we do like to support the local entrepreneurs.

While Ian was working industriously on his boxes I walked into the town centre, about 20 minutes away.  I didn’t really need anything, apart from the exercise.  Between here and the town centre the path runs alongside a disused section of canal which is now a waterfowl paradise.   There were geese and coots and quite a few different duck species but I only recognised the mallards and the muscovies.


I really must find a book about the waterfowl in Belgium.
Apart from that? Just cleaning and cooking! 

No comments:

Post a Comment